Rulang Primary School was originally known as Joo Long Public School. It was founded in 1930 by Mr Ng Lee Kar, a Jurong Community leader who believed the importance of education as Singapore progressed. It began with only 34 pupils and it was housed in a shophouse at 13th milestone of Jurong Road. Joo Long Public School began to function with Mr Yak Woh Hoon as the head of the school. Four years later, to meet the need for bigger premises, the school moved to Kee San Estate at Jalan Bahar.